Meeting new people always carries some kind of risk. Whether meeting people online or offiline. Online, you never know who is really behind the computer screen on the other side. They may be representing themselves
as one person, but may be someone else in reality. They may also be who they say they are, but could have a malicious intent. Therefore, we have compiled the following tips to help you stay as safe as possible during your
time spent on our site.
Disclosing Personal Information
You must always act with absolute caution when disclosing personal information online. Follow these helpful guidelines to stay safe when sharing your information:
- NEVER give out ANY information that could potentially identify you on an individual basis unti you have safely met your match offline and feel comfortable disclosing such details.
- Never include or share your real name -- especially your last name, e-mail address, home address, phone number, place of work, or any other personally identifying information on your profile or in emails.
- Do not communicate with anyone who attempts to pressure you into providing your personal or financial information or in any way attempts to trick you into providing it.
- Use an anonymous third-party email address for your dating purposes. Although your communications on Confirio, whether through email or our Messenger product, are designed to help protect your identity until you choose to reveal it, hackers can breach nearly any technology and you should still use extra caution in your communications.
- Trust your instincts and immediately stop communicating with anyone who makes you feel uncomfortable or apprehensive.
Do Your Own Research
CONFIRIO DOES NOT ROUTINELY SCREEN ITS USERS, INQUIRE INTO THE BACKGROUND OF OUR USERS, ATTEMPT TO VERIFY INFORMATION PROVIDED BY OUR USERS OR CONDUCT CRIMINAL SCREENINGS OF OUR USERS. We believe that providing background checks would lead to a false sense of security since databases of criminal convictions may not be up to date, not all convictions appear in background screenings and criminals may circumvent even the most sophisticated background screenings.
We recommend that you conduct your own research before sharing any personal information with, or meeting, another person. You can do this by searching for the person's name via an Internet search engine, contacting your local municipalities to obtain public information or using a paid service to obtain a full background report. It is important to use common sense and caution with every person you communicate with using our services.
If any information a person provides you doesn't make sense, conflicts with other information that was provided or makes you apprehensive, you should end the communication. Copying and pasting messages and profile info into Google may help you to
locate their profile on other sites to find additional informatin about them.
Meeting In Person
When meeting offline, always take the following precautions:
- Meet in a public place such as a mall where there may be additional security, during a busy time.
- Use your own transportation to arrive at the meeting and do not meet in the parking lot. Never have the person pick you up from your home or office.
- Tell a friend or family member where you are going and when you will return and set up a predetermined time to check in with them.
- Bring a cell phone with you so you can immediately contact emergency services or a friend for help if necessary.
- Stick to nonalcoholic drinks.
- Don't leave your personal belongings (mobile phones, purses, wallets) unattended.
- Never worry or feel embarrassed about your behavior. Your safety is far more important than the other person's opinion of you.
We encourage you to help us fight scammers and inappropriate profiles. If you suspect a user is trying to scam you, we encourage you to stop the communication and report them by clicking on the "Report this profile"
link in the messages page. Always remember to use your head. Most scams involve one or more of the following:
- A user contacts you from somewhere far away, often in another country, state, or many miles away.
- Scammers often refuse to meet face-to-face or talk on the phone. Instead, they would like to send you SMS messages,
use your personal email, contact you through another social network such as Facebook through a fake profile, or meet you on a video chat website (other than Confirio).
- A user does not wish to meet face-to-face with you after exchanging a decent amount of information and would prefer to continue the relationship online for weeks or months at a time are most likely fake. Any user who will
not meet you within a week or two is most likely fake and you should not continue communicating with them in hopes that you will eventually meet them. Scammers continue coming up with excuses as to why
they can't meet you and use this to their advantage to drag out their relationship with you online and get to know you better, at which point they will use you to extort money or other personal details from you.
- A user makes many elementary grammar or spelling mistakes.
- A user is not familiar with their supposed current residing city.
- A user directs you to a site that requires you to pay to talk via webcam
- A user asks you for money (this is often in the context of an urgent need such as travel back to their home country, hospital bills, medication, obtaining official documents such as a visa or as a short term loan to recover from a financial setback.)
- A user tries to sell products or services online or offers you a job opportunity.
- A user claims love for you right away.
- A user from Russia, usually a female, claims to fall in love with you and wants to marry you so she can move to another country.
- A user claims you won a lottery. Confirio does not ever have lotteries and anyone contacting you about a lottery is a scammer.
We also encourage you to report any profiles that contain obscene, pornographic, abusive, violent or otherwise offensive photos or content. By reporting such violations, you not only protect yourself but also help other Confirio users. Simply go to the violator's message and click the "Report this" link.